Monday, June 1, 2015

Lao names

In 2010, my husband and I decided to have children, we decided that it would be ideal for our children to have a Laotian middle name since they are half Laotian and half Caucasian.  The Lao middle name was something I really wanted because that is who I am and who they will become.

When I became pregnant, we searched all over the internet to find the appropriate name for our boy and girl, but finding the Lao middle names were quite difficult besides the adored names that grandparents give to their grandchildren.  For example; my mother calls my son "hua bay" which means "flat head." Granted he does have a flat head (we did follow the rules of "Back is Best").  There are also names such as "hum" which means "testicles" in English, or "hum noy" which means "small testicles." Some times I call my son "Ai (pronounce "I") which means "brother" just because it was something natural for me and he responds to it even though that is not his middle name.

After doing a lot of research online, looking through dictionaries, and talking to elders in the family, I have comprised a list of names and its meanings.

I hope it helps you decide your baby's Lao name!!
 
 

LAO NAMESMEANING
KaiClose, nearby, become better (Boy)
GaiChicken (Boy)
Savanh/Sawan ("sawanh")Heaven (Girl)
Laya ("La-Ya")Beautiful one (Girl)
Fone ("Phone")Rain (Girl)
Fundee ("fun dee")Sweet dreams (Unisex)
YaiLarge/big (Unisex)
NoySmall (Unisex)
LaeDark (Unisex)
Anousone/Anuson ("Ah-noo-sone")Youth (Boy)
Atsawin ("Ot-sa-win")Knight (Boy)
DeeGood (Unisex)
Mali/MalyFlower/blossom (Girl)
Malla/MalaGarland of flowers (Girl)
Tia ("Thea")Short (Unisex)
Wantha ("wun tha")Sweet eyes (Girl)
Giat ("Gi-at")Honor (Unisex)
Rathana ("Rut tana")Crystal (Girl)
Lawan Beautiful (Girl)
Sumalee ("Som-a-Lee")Beautiful flower (Girl)
Som Orange/Well Suited (Boy)
Sunya ("Sun Ya")Promise (Girl)
NaiBoss (Boy)
Deesabun ("Dee- sa- boon")Luck (Boy)
JaiHeart (Boy)
Jan ("Jun")Moon (Unisex)
YingPrincess (Girl)
Kam ("kuhm")Word, gold, hold (Boy)
Mahasajun ("Ma-ha-sa-john")Marvelous, astonishing, miraculous (Boy)
Likit ("Lee kit")Destiny, fate (Girl)
Sa Lat ("Sa- Lot")Smart, clever (Unisex)
JingTrue, real (Girl)
Fah/FaSky (Girl)
Thong ("Tong")Golden (Unisex)


No comments:

Post a Comment